When creating ELA assessments, typically you want to include an appropriate reading passage for students. Naiku comes with professionally developed item banks containing many passages and subitems to help you develop assessments appropriate for any grade level.
This article shows you how to build such an assessment in Naiku. Follow the steps below to build your own assessment.
1. Click on Actions to create a new Naiku assessment and enter an assessment name. You can also select the subject, grade level, and sharing level. In this example, we will create a test for grade 5 student.
2. Click on Search Items to search for a passage and subitems. Pick Passage with subitems under Type. Pick an Item Bank. And since we're looking for a passage appropriate for grade 5 students, we'll search for passages with a Flesch-Kincaid score of 5. Note that you can also search by Lexile score. Click on Search to find passages that meet your criteria.
3. You'll see that 94 passages were found. If you click on the title of the passage, that will open the passage in a new tab of your browser.
4. Click on the passage titled The Ants Come Marching to open that passage and view its subitems.
5. Go back to the tab on which you were building the assessment. If you click on Select Subitems under the passage The Ants Come Marching, you will be able to select items from this passage to put on your test.
Note that you can add all items (just click on Add all button). Or can you add specific items by clicking on the small box next to each item. Here, we will add 6 items total. We will select 2 items from each of the following standards: RI.5.1, RI.5.2, and RI.5.3. Click the X to close this window.
6. You will now be in the assessment building screen and see the items that you selected for the test. Now you can click on Save Assessment.
7. When student take this assessment (after you've assigned it to them), this is how the test will appear to them.
Good luck building your own ELA assessments with passages. If you need any help, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.